[Osmf-talk] my views on the ODbL

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Sat Dec 5 11:36:37 UTC 2009

On 04/12/2009, at 7:25 AM, Ulf Möller wrote:
> However, one important limitation of the ODbL is that we cannot accept
> CC-licensed data, nor ODbL-licensed data, from other projects. That also
> means there will be no two-way exchange with Wikipedia's Geo project.

So the current situation is that if someone creates a derived database, we probably won't be able to import their data because they (arguably) don't have to release it, but we can import data that people have made available under CC-BY or CC-BY-SA. The proposed situation is that if someone creates a derived database, we probably wont be able to import their data because they may not agree to the Contributor Terms, and we may not be able to import CC-BY(-SA) data for the same reason.

So, how exactly do we benefit from ODbL + Contributor Terms?