[Osmf-talk] License Status III

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Sat Dec 5 12:56:47 UTC 2009

On 05/12/2009, at 10:19 PM, Mike Collinson wrote:
> If ODbL is accepted, existing contributors will get a page to Accept or Refuse the new contributor terms. We will now add a third option, (the wording of which may be fine tuned):
>
> Accept
> Accept and I consider all my data PD anyway and don't claim database protection, so do whatever you want
> Refuse

I like the idea behind it, but I think that you'd *definitely* want some fine tuning of the middle option. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, some jurisdictions don't allow you to just say "oh, my work is in the public domain", which is why there is now a "Creative Commons Zero" licence.

It's probably going to open up a whole other argument, but should be use that license to have something like "My contributions are under the disjunction of ODbL and CC0, and I accept the contributor terms" with a note that CC0 is basically "public domain" that works for the whole world. I'm sure some people will have an issue with it not actually being public domain though.