[Osmf-talk] License Status III

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Dec 5 13:43:56 UTC 2009

At 01:56 PM 5/12/2009, James Livingston wrote:
>On 05/12/2009, at 10:19 PM, Mike Collinson wrote:
>> If ODbL is accepted, existing contributors will get a page to Accept or Refuse the new contributor terms. We will now add a third option, (the wording of which may be fine tuned):
>>
>> Accept
>> Accept and I consider all my data PD anyway and don't claim database protection, so do whatever you want
>> Refuse
>

>I like the idea behind it, but I think that you'd *definitely* want some fine tuning of the middle option. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, some jurisdictions don't allow you to just say "oh, my work is in the public domain", which is why there is now a "Creative Commons Zero" licence.

Agreed. I think there are two major options. The first is to be very clear that the "Accept" is the bit that has legal force and that the rest is declarative (not sure that is the right word) without legal force. The contributor is simply flagging their belief. Any suggestions on phrasing that without losing the original intent welcome. Perhaps it should be much shorter.

The other option is to indeed allow individuals to allow their data, and only their data, to be potentially available under a formalised "PD" arrangement or license like CC0 as you suggest ...

>It's probably going to open up a whole other argument, but should be use that license to have something like "My contributions are under the disjunction of ODbL and CC0, and I accept the contributor terms" with a note that CC0 is basically "public domain" that works for the whole world. I'm sure some people will have an issue with it not actually being public domain though.

... it would give continuum to the PD template on wiki user pages[1]. BUT I am not sure what actual practical value it has beyond a motherhood statement, and the primary focus at the moment should be on fixing the current license via consensus and not opening up a new war!

Mike

[1] "All my contributions to OpenStreetMap are released into the <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/public_domain>public domain. This applies worldwide.
In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use my contributions for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law. "