[Osmf-talk] CC BY SA 2.0 and backup plan

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 17:52:23 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Matt Amos <matt at asklater.com> wrote:

> Jeroen Carelse wrote:
> > I read the CC BY SA 2.0 under which the current data seems to be
> licensed.
> > Based on my understanding I would be allowed to download all the data,
> put it on my server and use it under the  CC BY SA 2.0 stated conditions.
> >
> > I could in that case keep it as it is or perhaps start alt-OSM v3.0 ( to
> name something).
> >
> > In this way the current data would be safe guarded from, if any, possible
> disruptions or "white spots".
> >
> > What is wrong in my reasoning?
>
> nothing. we will be providing a "full history planet" at the last point
> before the changeover itself to ensure that all data contributed under
> CC BY-SA is available. all previous planet files will, of course,
> continue to be CC BY-SA licensed.
>
> i think it would be good to have this hosted on a read-only server
> somewhere, as there may be people who change their mind post-vote and
> need to "recover" their contributions. this process would be helped by

making access to the old contributions easier.

It should be pointed out however that you would not be allowed to combine
the CC-BY-SA planet file with new ODbL licensed data and publish a map from
it.

ODbL and CC-BY-SA are incompatible and you cannot publish anything that
contains a mixture of the two.

80n