[Osmf-talk] License Status III

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Dec 5 18:39:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Let's start with "Accept;". That shows it's like the option above in force.
>
> How about:
>
> "Accept; furthermore I grant permission for any subsequent license change"
>
>> The other option is to indeed allow individuals to allow their data, and
>> only their data, to be potentially available under a formalised "PD"
>> arrangement or license like CC0 as you suggest ...
>
> With the above wording, that would be done by the OSMF stating that the
> contributions of all those who had ticked the middle option were now
> available under CC0.

I think this is problematic because the contributor agreement already
contains a clause about allowing OSMF to change the license (albeit
within a certain envelope). People would probably mix the two up, tick
the middle box, then shout "treachery!" if this leads to their content
becoming CC0.

Perhaps we could do something like:

( ) I accept.
( ) I accept. In addition, I publicly declare that all my OSM
contributions are in the public domain (or the nearest equivalent in my
country's law) anyway, and this means you can distribute them under any
license you want.
( ) I refuse.

Bye
Frederik