[Osmf-talk] CC BY SA 2.0 and backup plan

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Dec 5 19:55:15 UTC 2009

Hi,

80n wrote:
> So how does mapnik combine the two datasets?  In memory.  I don't think
> the definition of a database requires that it be resident on a physical
> disk.  Mapnik has to either derive something from the CC-BY-SA data or
> something from the ODbL data, it can't use magic.

Isn't that where the produced work comes it?

If we find a way to combine CC-BY-SA and ODbL data in the rendering
process where the ODbL data has already ceased to be a database when it
comes in contact with CC-BY-SA data, then we're ok.

Provided that such a point exists. One could argue that in order to be
meaningfully combinable with CC-BY-SA data, ODbL data still *has* to be
a database, whether it is in the form of a bitmap or not... ;-)

Bye
Frederik