[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Dec 6 23:17:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

Erik Johansson wrote:
> Anything that was CC-By-SA is always share alike, the ODBL leaves that
> SA philosophy altogether.

No, not leaves it altogether - reduces it to data.

> I don't see why people with the resources to
> render Openstreetmap data should get a benefit, this will create a
> very big divide between the ones that can render/style the data and
> those who can't.

I don't think there is a big divide. The barrier is coming down by the
day. Rendering becomes ever easier.

> Since how the map is rendered and presented is so important,
> especially for data quality, I don't want random companies controlling
> the representation of my Openstreetmap data.

Your argument does not make sense. If you claim that Joe Mapper cannot
render maps himself, and is dependent on others doing it for him, then
Joe Mapper is "controlled" by "random companies" (and random
individuals) today. Anyone who cannot make his own maps has to take what
others make for him - now, and under ODbL.

Everyone "controls" the map he makes. Even today, if you are unhappy
with how OSM data is represented on a map, CC-BY-SA doesn't magically
make different maps appear.

Bye
Frederik