[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

sotm at livingwithdragons.com sotm at livingwithdragons.com
Mon Dec 7 01:28:39 UTC 2009

I just wrote a reply on the wiki, and only afterwards saw this e-mail.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Open_Data_License/Why_You_Should_Vote_No#Making_Copies_of_your_maps_may_not_be_allowed
I think it is a good point for voting yes on ODbL. I would echo with
agreement what Matt says at the end "a lot of effort goes into creating
a really good map which i think should be rewarded".

Yet it also encourages/allows map images to be licensed under CC, PD,
case-by-case use agreements. This applies to direct renders (displaying
factual data in a pleasing colour tone) and artistic uses (e.g. painting
wavy roads, but loosely following the roads in an geographic area).

Gregory Marler
http://www.livingwithdragons.com