[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 03:06:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:17 AM, Matt Amos <matt at asklater.com> wrote:
> *creating* a stylesheet is a very creative process,
> let's say i spend a huge amount of time creating a new font, a new icon set
> and a style which pulls them all together in harmony. you're saying that if
> i want to use OSM data then i have to give all of those things away, since
> they're part of the rendering?

You are allowed to sell your work, you can make money from it, it's
just that you have to let people copy it.

But the main point is that we are going from a license that was pretty
specific on the part that "please share this" and by the way you can
do what you want. Now it's "uhm yeah do what you want". Unless there
are clear examples where the sharing of databases have been a hard
problem, this is the valid view on this.

> i'm not sure i understand your point. you've said that the data being free
> and open is important, but that it's useless without a rendered map. you've
> said that creating a rendered map isn't a creative activity, but that very
> few people can do it.

Because you need, resources to do it, and of course the technical know how.

> i think that the number of sites out there rendering OSM data shows that
> many people can do it, and the range of their cartography shows the
> creativity and skill they're employing to do it, for example many of the
> sites listed here
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM_based_Services

Seems like Share Alike isn't a big problem then, and people don't
really care that they have to publish it as share alike. The problem
arises only if you want to hinder people from copy your work, and
that's something that hinders my freedom to use my own data.

As I said in the beginning, and commenting on what Frederik writes,
you are free to sell Openstreetmap data, and if you do a really good
stylesheet and handediting you can sell it. You can even sell the same
thing how many times you want, but you can not hinder them from using
it again..

Make money but don't limit free use of your material.

Regards Erik Johansson