[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Dec 7 09:59:19 UTC 2009

On 07/12/09 09:44, Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) wrote:

>   Another remotely related question : how commercial map vendors
> protect their databases? I guess that they relay on copyright. If yes,
> how come they can do it?

For a printed map that you buy in the shop they can rely on copyright as
it is clearly a creative work because of the artistic decisions about
how to draw things and because it will probably have been manually
adjusted by a human cartographer to make it look good.

For electronic databases of map data it's primarily by contract - if you
go to Navteq or Teleatlas and ask to buy data for the UK roads or
whatever you will get presented with a voluminous license agreement to
sign first.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)