[Osmf-talk] License with or without virus

Henk Hoff henk at toffehoff.nl
Tue Dec 8 01:30:23 UTC 2009

2009/12/8 Matija Nalis <mnalis-openstreetmap-osmflist at voyager.hr>

>   Forget from which license to which we are proposing changing. What I'm
>   talking about is question if the damage that WILL be done (data loss,
>   contributors alienation, etc) is worth the benefit (better protection
>   from the "bad guys who won't share")? And "is this right time to do it,
>   are there really so many bad guys abusing OSM at the *moment* ? Or would
>   it perhaps be better to change it when it becomes obvious that they are
>   really becoming the problem, instead of now?"

But then you're too late. And then the damage is even worse.

The right time to do this was when the OSM project started. We've gone way
past that point. There's never going to be a right time (= having no damage)
anymore.
- How many bad guys should be abusing OSM before we say "That's enough,
let's get our stuff under another license!"

On the other hand: there are also organizations that want to use OSM data,
but think that the current license is not clear on the scope of derived work
and are therefore are not using OSM data.
To them the right time to do the change is now.....

Cheers,
Henk