[Osmf-talk] License with or without virus

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at medemail.com.au
Tue Dec 8 01:54:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Henk Hoff wrote:
> The right time to do this was when the OSM project started. We've gone way
> past that point. There's never going to be a right time (= having no
> damage) anymore.

one year ago I was in favour of licence change. the inevitable slow change of
legal minds against the rapid uptake of crowd sourced mapping has increased
the potential damage substantially

> On the other hand: there are also organizations that want to use OSM data,
> but think that the current license is not clear on the scope of derived
> work and are therefore are not using OSM data.
> To them the right time to do the change is now.....

But the change is only considered in one potential direction, and it appears
that there are many mappers who would change it the other way if a change was
to occur.

No answer yet on the "terms of reference of the LWG"
because here, months ago, is where the decision was actually made, when the
LWG ToR were drafted.

--
BOFH excuse #165:

Backbone Scoliosis