[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Tue Dec 8 08:27:23 UTC 2009

On Di, 2009-12-08 at 06:10 +0100, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> How can evilâ„¢ people stop us from creating free maps? It seems
> that /not helping/ us is the worst they can do.

I disagree. I do the mapping work (a) because I want to (it's fun, it
makes the world more free, etc.etc.), but also (b) because I benefit
from the input of others just as much as they benefit from mine.

If (b) doesn't hold, e.g. because FredFred the navigator manufacturer
integrates _my_ updates into their map and then expects _me_ to pay them
to be able to actually use that data on their devices, my motivation to
continue doing so _will_ reach an all-time low.

And that's why I'm voting for the new license, all problems we (seem to)
have with it nonwithstanding.