[Osmf-talk] License with or without virus

Oliver White sotm at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 09:37:22 GMT 2009

2009/12/9 Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz>:
> (2) If you support the principle of Share Alike but would like to explore
> the real ramifications of trying to apply it to a cooking ingredient, which
> is effectively what our geodata is, then ODbL, in all its mature 1.0 glory,
> is the only game in town. It was actually written with data in mind.

that's not strictly true, as the proposed ODbL implementation
*removes* sharealike from the map rendering, so it might not suit
people who "support the principle of Share Alike"

e.g. in this case it means that you couldn't upload the segment of ITN
news containing your Baghdad map to YouTube and make it a featured
image.  (at least, not without considerable effort investigating the
legality or obtaining permissions, both of which are problems that OSM
was supposed to solve - "most maps you think of as free actually have
legal or technical restrictions on their use")