[Osmf-talk] OpenStreetMap in UK's New Scientist

paul sandham prsandham at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 22:35:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv at gerv.net> wrote:
> On 09/12/09 20:24, paul sandham wrote:
>> I am happy to ask the flickr users for permission for this
>> image to be used in an OSM media pack? With attribution of course;))
>
> I would suggest you also need model release forms from everyone featured
> in the photo.

Probably right on the mark there.

Paul, given your experience, can you suggest the types of shots,
images that would get used the most?  Is there a "Killer App" in terms
of promotional photos or open geodata mapping projects?

Richard, For Flickr searching / browsing i have uses compfight - http://compfight.com/

There are so many reasonably good stock photo site like iStockphoto.com The problem apart from cost is if any of you have ever wondered why so many immaculate people who use laptops on the beach while wearing linen suits seem to be on so many sites / promotional materials. Their objective is primarily to sell a product or brand. I think that the objective of any image used within editorial on OSM would be to inform and help communicate what OSM does.

Not sure what you mean by killer app... if i did get it right, then flickr is it, just because of the ability to search effectively across a wide range of images via tags, groups etc

Images that seem to get picked most hmmm difficult and very difficult to predict. I think that this is down to thinking through the potential editorial opportunities. Perhaps a "map the city" "mapathon" type article would need images of groups, or a timeline of images taken from OSM archives that would be relevant to the area/country in question - Baltimore OSM map - 2007, 2008, 2009 or a before and after of the most recent mapathon. Some images can/should be relatively abstract hand, part of map, GPS device.

Although perhaps not very imaginative there would also need to be images of the key individuals that are and have been involved with OSM i.e. founders and the rest. These do not (should not) be portraits but might for instance show them presenting at a seminar, drinking coffee (or tea!) with other members..that type of thing.

Paul