[Osmf-talk] Proportion of OSM data represented by foundation members

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:40:41 UTC 2009

Brian Quinion wrote:

>Sent: 10 December 2009 4:19 PM
>To: osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [Osmf-talk] Proportion of OSM data represented by foundation
>members
>
>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if anyone had any information on approximately how
>much of the OSM data was added by OSMF members?
>
>I'm assuming that it will be a disproportionally large amount but I'm
>interested in exactly how disproportional it is - 10% or 50%

No idea, but if I were to assume that

90% of the data is contributed by 10% of the contributor base

and if there are around 30,000 contributors then 10% would be 3000
contributors of which say 250 are OSMF members (assuming all members are in
the top 10%). So 8.3% of 90% of the data might be by members, or about 7.5%
of the total holding? But I'm probably being over generous here and I'd
guess its probably a lower percentage and quite likely skewed by the big
TIGER import.

Of course I'm no mathematician and I've run out of fag packets, so hopefully
someone can put me straight ;-)

Cheers

Andy