[Osmf-talk] OpenStreetMap in UK's New Scientist

Paul Jarratt pej289 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:19:09 UTC 2009

Hi All

Think there are lots of great ideas for an OSM Press Kit.

Perhaps I can take it on and start to formulate one that doesn't just
include images but has the following:

1. OpenStreetMap Fast Facts - English and German Versions
2. Link to a dedicated OSM Flickr page for mapping images so everyone can
contribute
3. A link to Vimeo for video (I'm sure there's a lot of clips out there that
could make it into a 'B' roll - which a broadcaster may use)
4. Screen shots of cool apps using OpenStreetMap

Thoughts?

Paul

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>wrote:

> Gervase Markham wrote:
> > If they are part of a press pack or similar, then others might use them
> > in that way. After all, publishing in a paper is commercial use - the
> > paper is sold for money.
>
> We publish a 160-page magazine every month and in 35 years have never
> obtained model release, never been advised to, nor received any
> complaints from the thousands of people pictured in the magazine.
>
> "Commercial use" is a red herring and not enshrined anywhere in UK law.
> The issues are, rather, that of privacy and endorsement. If the
> photograph is taken in a public place, and is not used to endorse a
> particular product or viewpoint, then you are absolutely in the clear in
> the UK. If the photograph is of a private place or is used in a way
> which implies endorsement, then things are a little trickier.
>
> cheers
> Richard

Paul Jarratt
+1 650 454 6008