[Osmf-talk] Proportion of OSM data represented by foundation members

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 21:31:01 UTC 2009

On 10/12/2009 21:00, Oliver White wrote:
> "As of 9th March 2009, the Foundation has exactly 114 fully paid-up
> members."  http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Membership
>
> "5000 users editing per week"
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Osmdbstats4.png
>
> so OSMF might represent about 2.2% of the mappers?

It wouldn't surprise me if that is at least order of magnitude wise correct.

My guess would be that OSMF members represents the minority of OSM data
(corrected for large imports). Even if you assume that OSMF members are
the most active mappers (which I am not sure is necessarily correct,
just the most _politically_ active, which though probably correlates at
least reasonably well with most active mappers), the shear number of non
OSMF members will outweigh that. And the more mainstream OSM becomes,
the less members of OSMF will proportionally contribute to OSM. At least
that is my guess.

Of cause, my opinion is based on absolutely no evidence other than my
gut feeling.