[Osmf-talk] CC-BY-SA "too strong" ?

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 12:59:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:29:25AM +0100, Matija Nalis wrote:
> I was referring to amm's claim at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Open_Data_License/Why_You_Should_Vote_No#Principle_of_least_damage
>
> If some conclusion was indeed reached, I'd be much obliged if you could
> point me to it, thanks.

I don’t believe a conclusion has been reached.

What I said (CC-by-sa just requires the original attribution) applies to
CC-by-sa in general, and was a bit of a knee-jerk response that didn’t
take into account much of the rest of your post, sorry.

With a strict interpretation of the clause requiring attribution that
takes into account that the author’s name (or pseudonym) is provided
with each object (the author must be credited if supplied), and ignores
the ambiguous “reasonable extent” parts (assumes that “reasonable”
amounts to the maximum possible) you can argue that every single author
must be attributed in a reproduction of the data.

I pretty much agree with amm’s comment that the possibility makes it
undesirable to potential users.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall