[Osmf-talk] Contributor Agreement is Dual Licensing

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Dec 12 23:16:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> Couldn't instead the contributors put the data under ODbL and not
> grant the Foundation any additional rights?  It seems like this would
> solve a couple of problems and would be logically a single step rather
> than the two steps the current update plan is trying to make.

I think this was something the LWG discussed in length in the early
stages, and there are some reasons why this would not work. I'll let
them summarise.

The main reason, I think, is that what you (the individual contributor)
have is not necessarily a database (think of someone just making a few
fixes to road names or so). Thus the ODbL is unsuitable for licensing
it. And even if it were, this would then mean that OSMF have to
attribute every single contributor...

Bye
Frederik