[Osmf-talk] Results of OSMF Member Vote

Matt Amos matt at asklater.com
Sun Dec 27 14:03:15 UTC 2009

Lars Francke wrote:
>> let's do the same for the 2008 USA presidential election:
>
> I never said the US presidential elections are fair or use a flawless
> system (quite the opposite with the electoral college system in my
> opinion)

sure, but i didn't bring it up as an example of a fair and flawless
system (which it clearly isn't), i brought it up as an example of a very
popular election where the turnout was, relatively, very high and the
election happened despite the lack of an absolute majority. basically;
when polling people who aren't required to vote, no-one ever gets as
high a turnout as you seem to expect.

> or can be compared to this vote and I deliberately tried to
> keep my numbers and explanations without additional comparisons or
> opinions. But as you brought it up: I think this is more a vote for a
> change to the constitution (which requires an absolute two-thirds
> majority at least in Germany) than a vote for a new president.

article 79 part 2: Such [an amendment to Basic Law] requires the
affirmative vote of two thirds of the members of the Bundestag and
two-thirds of the votes of the Bundesrat.

are you suggesting that the OSMF members are the equivalent of the
german parliament? in which case, what's the function of the (elected)
OSM board?

also, i assume, the Bundestag members are paid to turn up and vote;
isn't that their job?

cheers,

matt