[Osmf-talk] Results of OSMF Member Vote

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mon Dec 28 01:01:24 UTC 2009

On Dec 27, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Matija Nalis wrote:
> So, what I'm talking about is that while majority of OSM contributors might
> not care if the license ends up to be CC-BY-SA or ODbL (which I fully expect
> majority of them really won't care), they would care a PLENTY if due to such
> low turnout *more than a half* of the data (45%+11%+xx%) and years of work
> *gets deleted* in few months time. I know I would.

Do you have any idea how to make it better? We're going to have an extensive amount of work following up with all those that say no or don't respond and I'm actually quite hopeful that most people will click yes.

That aside, the numbers are a lot better than you might think. Out of the 200,000 accounts, 70% have never edited anything and then those that have edited are distributed in a scale-free way. Let's say 20% built 80% of the data, which I think is roughly correct then the key people are 200k * .3 * .2 or about 12,000 people. Taking a guess, if 90% of those click yes then we only are going to have problems with talking to 1,200 people which is entirely manageable. And better yet, we can prioritise our time talking to the ones who have edited the most.

So I think it's all achievable and if we just sat around talking about the doom scenarios we wouldn't have got as far as we have.

Yours &c.

Steve