[Osmf-talk] OPENSTREETMAP FOUNDATION - NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Jul 29 12:18:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Andy Robinson
(blackadder)<blackadderajr at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Our Articles don't have any restriction other than it can only be a Member
> that is appointed to the board. The Board actually can decide who is
> eligible to be a member but I wouldn't think we could go there for obvious
> reasons.

I agree that any interested person should be permitted to join the
foundation.  Now if the 1700 surveyors from TeleAtlas were to register
tomorrow, and put forth seven candidates is this the best situation
for the board and the community?

> It's something that can be looked at in the review of the Articles, but not
> something we can do anything about before the forthcoming elections, and as
> 80n says, in reality it would be absurd to make the Articles restrictive
> anyway. Much better to require that affiliations and interest are properly
> declared when a person stands for election and let the voters decide. If we
> had a very large OSMF membership base this really wouldn't be an issue.

Perhaps the board will not implement these changes in the articles of
association before the election, but the board can certainly issue a
statement supporting the goal of reduced risk and increased diversity
in the board.

The board members involved can also agree to support the goals of
reduced risk and increased diversity by voluntarily withdrawing their
nominations that exceed one candidate per company.

Best regards,
Richard