[Osmf-talk] Conflict of Interest

Nick Black nick at blacksworld.net
Thu Jul 30 13:59:20 UTC 2009

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there are many, many
aspects to running a good business that the OSM Foundation can learn
from.  Here is one great example - Being customer lead

Good businesses talk to their customers and find out what they want,
then go and build it.  Bad businesses sit behind closed doors and
imagine what their customers want, then when no one buys their
products they blame the customer for being too stupid to know the
product is right for them.

The OSM-Foundation should be lead by its members and by the OSM-
Community.  This means making decisions and supporting things that the
community wants.  This translates to making life better for OSMers -
helping them get more out of OpenStreetMap, and in turn put more into
the project.  There is a dangerous sentiment amongst some OSMers that
we shouldn't try to make OSM mapping more accessible to more people.
To me this is terrible technical elitism.  I do not want to be part of
a project that acts like the business that fails because they think
their customers are too stupid.  I want a project that actively goes
out, finds mappers who don't know they are mappers yet and helps them
learn how to map.  A project that helps as many people as possible
join the fun.

When you've got great news isn't it natural to want to share it with
people?

--
Nick