[Osmf-talk] OSMF and evangelism (was: Conflict of interest)

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 30 16:28:12 UTC 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 30 July 2009 4:29 PM
>To: osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [Osmf-talk] OSMF and evangelism (was: Conflict of interest)
>
>Hi,
>
>This is developing into a nice discussion on the very question of what
>OSMF should be and what it shouldn't. I wish we had had this long ago.
>
>Nick Black wrote:
>> I want a project that actively goes out,
>> finds mappers who don't know they are mappers yet and helps them learn
>> how to map.
>
>Nice if individuals do this - but it cannot be, in my eyes, the job of
>OSMF. We (OSMF) are not there to preach to the world about the goodness
>of OSM. We are not there to carry OSM into countries that are not
>interested. We are not in the business of selling OSM to the world. If
>there are places where OSM doesn't work as good as it could, then our
>natural reaction should be to just wait until they're ready rather than
>spending time and money to inseminate them with something that didn't
>come to them naturally. (You of all people should know that this is a
>difficult undertaking at the very least.)
>
>We, OSMF, are in the business of helping OSMers reach *their* goals -
>but it is *them* who set these goals, not us.

Well, that's not exactly how I interpret what the OSMF's aims are. Our
current guiding principal as set out in the Memorandum of Association which
states:

"3.1 OpenStreetMap Foundation is dedicated to encouraging the growth,
development and distribution of free geospatial data and to providing
geospatial data for anybody to use and share."

Which is currently a somewhat broader remit than just looking after our own.

Cheers

Andy