[Osmf-talk] OSMF and evangelism (was: Conflict of interest)

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Fri Jul 31 00:36:04 UTC 2009

El día Thursday 30 July 2009 17:28:32, Frederik Ramm dijo:
> [...] We (OSMF) are not there to preach to the world about the goodness
> of OSM. We are not there to carry OSM into countries that are not
> interested. We are not in the business of selling OSM to the world.

How comes?

I do find that "evangelising" OSM to paleo-geo, neo-geo, mashup hackers,
hacktivists, digital artists and whatever is one of the best ways to know
what the prospective users of OSM want (or what OSM lacks for further
adoption).

In addition:
"3.1 OpenStreetMap Foundation is dedicated to encouraging the growth,
development and distribution of free geospatial data and to providing
geospatial data for anybody to use and share."

Heck, evangelising OSM == encouraging growth of free geodata use. At least by
my definition.

Cheers,

Un ordenador no es una televisión ni un microondas: es una herramienta
compleja.