[Osmf-talk] OPENSTREETMAP FOUNDATION - NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 31 15:50:18 UTC 2009

Chris,

Christopher Osborne wrote:
> After about 40 emails in the space of one day, I think its time to cool the
> debate.
>
> If you feel strongly enough about this, stand for election and write your
> manifesto.  If your views represent those of others, you stand a good chance
> of being elected.

Is it your opinion that the course that OSMF takes should not be
determined through discussion amongst its members but rather by people
putting up their read-only manifestoes and people then silently voting
for whoever they like best - without actually talking to each other?

Or are you saying that this mailing list is not the right place for
discussion among OSMF members?

I'm somewhat confounded because I actually thought it a healthy element
of a strong organisation that members can share, discuss, or sometimes
perhaps even battle out their views, and especially engage with those
who are asking to be elected. Now you come across suggesting something
that sounds like "if you don't want to stand for election yourself, shut
up and politely limit yourself to choosing from the available options
without making a fuss".

If you do not like this process of exchanging views and of dialogue
between the "electorate" and those asking to be elected, maybe you can
suggest a better one - ideally one that does not involve meeting face to
face so that we don't discourage those who neither live in London nor
have a limitless travel budget. I'd be very unhappy if we'd arrive at a
policy where people from Australia can't get elected because they seldom
show up in Europe in person...

Bye
Frederik