[Osmf-talk] Project leadership (was: Conflict of Interest)

Nick Black nick at blacksworld.net
Fri Jul 31 17:53:35 UTC 2009

On 30 Jul 2009, at 21:16, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gervase Markham wrote:
>> (I'm assuming you don't think the project should have nobody doing
>> leadership and direction-setting!)
>
> Actually I do. It is you (and Nick) who's invoking the past - so where
> was OSMF and the project leadership then when OSM started?

The point I was making was that OSM has always relied on evangelism to
grow into new domains.  This has now been partially formalised with
the Foundation.  The Foundation is there to _support_ the OSM
community not to take it over.  OSM-F should be supporting the work of
mappers who want to promote OSM.

> I don't know
> what Steve tells people nowadays but the stories that I have heard
> were
> not ones of leadership and direction-setting.

Its true that Steve held off setting up the OSM-F for a while, feeling
that too much bureaucracy could have a bad impact on the young OSM.
Since OSM-F has been set up though, I don't hear many people
complaining about the achievements it makes, that include:

* Providing an official legal body that can own OSM resources,
allowing the project to grow
* Fundraising
* Purchasing servers and hardware
* Managing servers
* Managing possibly copyrighted data
* Running awesome conferences ;-)

The OSM-F was the natural and right extension as the OSM community
started to grow.

--
Nick