[Osmf-talk] Fwd: AW: Lizenzverstoß bei Magix Foto auf CD&DVD 9

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 16:04:11 UTC 2009

Lulu-Ann at gmx.de wrote:
> To steer the press articles, somebody of the foundation could give an interview, announcing that in the future there might be sues, because the problem grows.
> Then nobody can say 'oops, now OSM suddenly gets nasty...' and we have good press, not bad.

Sure. Sending out the message "Use OpenStreetMap data and get the
attribution slightly wrong, and we're gonna sue you" is really going to
get people to use the data.

Seriously, what do you hope to gain by this kind of action? All you're
doing is annoying people and making them think that if they get involved
with OSM it's going to cause them trouble.

The licence is there to stop people doing wholesale imports of our data
into proprietary products, not to ensure every last bureaucratic detail
of the licence is adhered to by anyone who wants to use a few map tiles
here and there.

My day job is as a journalist, and I can tell you if you put out the
kind of announcement you're talking about, the press would either take
no notice, or would have a field day, but not in a good way. We'd look
like idiots.

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)