[Osmf-talk] OSMF Board Meeting and new board officers for 2009-2010

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Sep 16 11:40:51 BST 2009

On 15 Sep 2009, at 22:59, Mike Collinson wrote:

> The Board met tonight and has elected the following officers of the
> OSMF for the coming year:
>
> Chair: Steve Coast
> Secretary: Mike Collinson
> Treasurer: Andy Robinson
>
> The board expresses its thanks to Etienne Cherdlu for the time he
> has given as Treasurer and looking after the accounts over the last
> two years.
>
> An initial draft copy of tonight's minutes is available at
>
> http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgj9hzhf_0cxq38mf5

Thanks for that update - nice and prompt and very informative. Also
thanks to Andy for taking on the time consuming job of treasurer.

I am pleased to see the focus on bringing the new license into effect
sooner rather than later. It won't be easy, but is important to get it
concluded.

The move to a more open wiki format for foundation communication makes
a lot of sense.

With regard to working parties I suggest that it will be useful to
define a clear process of setting them up to allow interested parties
to get involved and to publish these guidelines.

I suggest that  when forming a working group that a clear invitation
for expressions of interest should be published on suitable mailing
lists and that the working party can then be formed from a suitable
selection of interested individuals. I agree that it is sensible that
a working party should have two foundation directors involved for the
reasons given. Can I also suggest that the working party should be
asked to choose their chairperson and review their choice from time to
time to give more people experience of chairing a group and provide a
fresh angle on the problem.

A working group should aim for stability of membership, but from time
to time I believe that it should advertise for new members (and others
may wish to stand down). Some of the working parties that have
existing for some time may wish to consider advertising for new
members in the near future.

Working parties should publish minutes from meetings and also clear
goals for the group.

I note that the Foundation website still saying that only foundation
members can be on working parties - I believe that anyone can be
included and that this is out of date.

Regards,

Peter