[Osmf-talk] OSMF Board Meeting and new board officers for 2009-2010

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:39:02 UTC 2009

Peter Miller wrote:
>Sent: 16 September 2009 2:28 PM
>To: Andy Robinson (blackadder)
>Cc: 'Frederik Ramm'; osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] OSMF Board Meeting and new board officers for
>2009-2010
>

>On 16 Sep 2009, at 13:46, Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
>
>> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>> Sent: 16 September 2009 12:28 PM
>>> To: Peter Miller
>>> Cc: osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] OSMF Board Meeting and new board officers
>>> for
>>> 2009-2010
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> That means that each director has to participate in *at least* n*3.5
>>> working groups where n is the number of working groups (currently
>>> 7?).
>>> Will this not lead to "token participation" where directors do not
>>> really participate but are there just for the sake of having
>>> directors
>>> on the working group?
>>>

>> We felt it is still manageable this way at the current time. Yes, if
>> we grow
>> the number of working groups we would need to reappraise. The
>> intention of
>> naming two directors for each group is so that at least one
>> hopefully can
>> always be present at WG meetings. Having a board member present
>> should help
>> the two way decision process and keep everyone within the board and
>> working
>> group best informed.
>
>Sound ok to me for now, but the working group should be able to choose
>a chair who has got sufficient time to devote to the project hence my
>suggestion that the chair need not be a foundation director and should
>be chosen by the working group not by the foundation.

We also discussed this point last night. You are right, the WG should be the
one to choose its chair, that's just logical for good proceedings.

The foundation
>directors may then only have a watching brief on the group if it is
>operating well without them. The important thing is that the group
>perform and are openly democratic, the rest can be worked out as we go
>along.
>
>Btw, the working groups page on the foundation website needs updating
>with who is a director and who is not (Etienne is still listed as a
>director as the email for him is to treasurer). Also there is no chair
>stated for the Technical Working Group.

We are going to be moving this info away from the current static page format
so the WG updates will get taken care of when this happens.

Cheers

Andy