[Osmf-talk] Enough is enough: disinfecting OSM from poisonous people

Philip Shipley phil at barby.net
Tue Aug 10 23:35:01 UTC 2010

Hi Steve,

I'm sure you are being inundated with emails in light of your posting.  As
part of the silent majority I wanted to stick my head up above the parapet
and offer my support to everything you have said.

The malcontent's are gradually draining my enthusiasm for the project, I am
a lot less active than I used to be, goodness knows what it must be like for
'drivers' who perform the almost thankless tasks that push things forward.

I feel that the project is drifting rudderless and captainless.  I have a
natural aversion to authority figures dictating the path forward, however I
think that sometimes nasty medicine must be taken in order to get better.
 Provided that there is a mechanism to remove the captain then it is a
perfectly reasonable way to resolve the situation and set the project back
onto the right track.

I see the role more of a Prime Minister rather than a Dictator, a subtle but
important difference.  Consequently there needs to be a mechanism to anoint
and remove the 'leader' in order to instil legitimacy to the role.  Self
anointing does not cut it for me, and I suspect the greater community.

Hopefully there will be a groundswell of support, else I foresee that we
will never fulfil our true potential.

Phil