[Osmf-talk] Enough is enough: disinfecting OSM from poisonous people

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 11 08:54:51 UTC 2010

Phil,

Philip Shipley wrote:
> I feel that the project is drifting rudderless and captainless.  I have
> a natural aversion to authority figures dictating the path forward,
> however I think that sometimes nasty medicine must be taken in order to
> get better.  Provided that there is a mechanism to remove the captain
> then it is a perfectly reasonable way to resolve the situation and set
> the project back onto the right track.

(Note: There have been cases in history where whole nations installed a
supposedly time-limited dictatorship, and then failed to ever take back
power. It is easier said than done.)

I would like to remind everyone that this is about the - probably
legitimate - cause of silencing a few disruptive individuals and
averting harm they and their ilk might cause to the project; this is not
about installing some kind of leader(ship) that tells us everything from
how to run our servers to how to design the front page to how to tag an
auto-flush toilet.

(This may seem silly to you but think: Even today we have stupid little
tagging wars about whether something deserves bicycle=destination or
not, to quote a recent example. If there was any kind of leadership, it
doesn't take a genius to find out to whom these people would appeal to
"speak a final word" in their discussion...)

Let us keep this straight and narrow, because if this is blown up from
"let's get some peace in the community" to "let's have a captain and a
rudder", as you, perhaps carelessly, indicated above, then that has the
potential to sink the whole package and in the end achieve nothing.

Bye
Frederik