[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] BDFL & Moderation

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 11 20:50:53 UTC 2010

Steve,

SteveC wrote:
> I plan only to moderate people (for 24 hours) after taking a poll of
> key people including Andy Allan, Matt Amos, Katie Filbert, Tom
> Hughes, Emilie Laffray, Frederik Ramm, Ivan Sanchez, Grant Slater and
> Richard Weait. If you think more than these would be good then let me
> know.

I think less would be good.

I am thankful for that token of trust (after having recently been
dragged through the subject lines as a warmonger by someone else), but
I'm afraid I have to decline the honour to be part of that tribunal. I
don't support dictatorships - benevolent or not.

Also, I don't perceive myself to have a clean record regarding obnoxious
behaviour on the lists, so it would be wrong for me to judge that of others.

> I am also imposing a self-limiting, four
> week (28 day) period starting from when this warning period ends (in
> 24 hours) whereby, if I don't exercise my BDFL powers during that
> time, I will step back.

I cannot help but wonder: For someone who can appoint himself, what
exactly is the meaning of "stepping back"?

> So, please, have a think about what and where you are posting, and
> lets make talk@ a nice place to be again.

I don't like your means, but I support the goal.

Bye
Frederik