[Osmf-talk] February OSMF Board Meeting

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Feb 26 13:23:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
> If we ignore the needs of the wider community, not just
> our own existing contributors, then we will be left for dust tomorrow as
> soon as a slicker, simpler, sexier, cooler or whatever site/project comes
> along. And to be honest if it had an import tab so that I could contribute
> my existing data I'd be reading the sign-up terms and thinking about it
> carefully.

Up to here this sounds as if you wanted to say that the sexiness of the
website determines the success of the project.

> After all, its creating the data set that matters,

Now I don't get the twist. Are you saying that those with the slickest,
simplest and sexiest site will automatically be the ones to create the
best data set? Is there any evidence for that? (I'm thinking of
Wikipedia - isn't their UI really hard considering they are dealing with
the data type "written text"? Aren't there many slicker & sexier sites
around? So where's Wikipedia rotting in the dust?)

 > if someone
> else does that better and I like the ethos of it (eg has the right type of
> community and a licence I'm comfortable with) then why would I not consider
> it, others for sure would be doing so.

Yes, according to its statues, even the OSMF will consider supporting
the new project instead of, or in addition to, the old because OSMF is
not limited to OSM.

I am a bit confused; does the above mean that OSM always has to strive
to be the slickest, sexiest, coolest crowdsourced mapping project,
always re-inventing itself, kicking out the old and attracting the
young, following the latest trends and being on top whatever social
networking fashion is current? Is keeping "OSM the brand name" alive
more important than "OSM the project"? Should we rather kill ourselves
before someone else does?

I plead guilty to having made a horde of elephants from a mouse. I'm
starting to argue against a world view which is always a warning sign.
I'll stop here. Just don't say I haven't warned you ;-)

Bye
Frederik