[Osmf-talk] seeking funding ideas

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Tue Feb 23 03:07:59 UTC 2010

Mikel Maron wrote:
> and then we'll see what makes sense from their point of view too.
>
> My ideas so far
> * replication of the SOTM Scholarship program
> * GPSToGo
> * Humanitarian OSM Team organizational build up
> * slum mapping ala Map Kibera
> * aerial imagery fund
As has been mentioned, it's most valuable to think about best impact for
any money. Paying a directly relational cost isn't going to make a huge
impact. However, what is valuable is funding work for necessary, but
potentially undesirable, or otherwise undoable, tasks, and also don't
overtly "spoil the well" by paying for things that community would have
done on their own, even if it would have taken longer.

Things that I would think would be valuable (though perhaps less 'social')

* White paper on processes and/or quantitative impacts of OSM in
developed countries, developing regions, or disaster.
    Benefit: provides documented evidence that can be used to leverage
multinational and national organizations to adopt OSM and participate in
the community.
* Training and education courseware
* Aerial Imagery Fund is definitely good - but I think there are better
opportunities for this fund with larger organizations that have better
ability to negotiate favorable rates and more importantly licensing (and
visibility if these terms are not honored)
* Any large, looming development needs on the technologies that could
use some focused (read: funded with SOW) development efforts to
build/stabilize/integrate.

Agreed wholly on the HumOSM build-up (documentation, socialization in
the community, ETL tools), and some type of 'package' for
development/slum mapping directives (e.g. 3 months living wage & room &
board, travel, 6 GPS units, $ in printing/materials).

Andrew