[Osmf-talk] [Candidacy] AGM Foundation 2010 - Girona

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:25:37 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am writing to the list to mention that I will be running for the board for
the upcoming election for the foundation. After lot of thinking, I have
decided that I could potentially contribute to the community in a different
way in order to help OSM achieve its goal.
I am including my manifesto at the end of that email.

Emilie Laffray

*OSMF Board 2010*

*Introduction*
I started getting involved in OpenStreetMap in Automn 2008 where I spent
most of my time looking at understanding how it worked before finally
joining the site in 2009. My initial interest was to find a free source of
geographical data to remove the proprietary data that my company (u-blox)
was using.
Since I started mapping, I added my hometown in France and did most of the
mapping North of Orleans, based on GPS tracks that I did, and mostly on the
cadastre (geographical data used for tax purposes) which proved to be a very
powerful tool to map France.
I am involved in the English and French communities, and active on many
international mailing lists. I have also been involved in the Corine Land
Cover import in France, where I wrote most of the SQL code to check for
overlapping polygons to make sure that the community wouldn't lose polygons
for something that was of lower quality.
In addition, I have been getting involved with the organization of the State
Of The Map 2010 in Gerona, Spain.
When I have the time and opportunity, I am also talking about OpenStreetMap
(OpenKnowledge Conference 2010, London and SIG La Lettre 2010, Paris) on
different topics like data quality and Haiti.
Being involved in the State Of The Map conference really gave me the feeling
that I could do more for OpenStreetMap, and it is one reason for standing
for election.

*Statement*
I strongly believe that OpenStreetMap needs to communicate better about the
different projects that are currently being developed in the different
communities. Some projects are very good, but are unfortunately restricted
to one community only due to lack of promotion of the tools being
developped. In addition, it is clear that some communities would beneficiate
from the help of more mature communities in order to help the mapping
effort. While English needs to stay the main language, it is a language that
not many people are necessarily speaking fluently and it is important that
bridges are built to work around those difficulties.

*Goals*
If I get elected, I would like to push the following points:

    * Better communication from the Foundation
    * Better support of community projects
    * Better support to non English speaking communities
    * Working towards reducing the barrier of entry to mapping