[Osmf-talk] SotM2011: What's next?

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 08:05:07 UTC 2010

Nick Black wrote:
>Sent: 19 July 2010 8:35 AM
>To: SteveC
>Cc: osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] SotM2011: What's next?
>
>We charge for the conference so that there is no risk of the Foundation
>losing money if sponsorship does not materialise.  Attendee fees cover
>venue hire and basic equipment and catering.  Sponsor money covers more
>exciting catering options, plus the Saturday evening meal.  Most of the
>sponsor money goes back to the OSM-F.

That's not quite correct. In reality the attendance fees do not cover the
cost of venue and food, they did for the first SOTM but then the venue was
principally free, since then there has been a widening gap between basic
venue and food costs and the amount returned by delegate registrations.

I'd recommend that for next year the budget and outturn cost for this year's
SOTM be carefully reviewed before setting the budget for 2011. While we will
have some surplus funds this year it won't be a significant amount despite
the impressive size of commercial sponsorship.