[Osmf-talk] SotM2011: What's next?

Jonathan Harley jon at parkplatz.net
Tue Jul 20 09:43:54 UTC 2010

On 19/07/10 18:30, Nick Black wrote:
> Good point Andy.  And agree with carefully reviewing the budget.
>
> My point is:
>
> * Is SOTM about making money for the Foundation or providing a forum for people to learn about OSM, share experiences and so on? (the two do not have to be mutually exclusive)

It can be about both of those, but surely there are other things it can
be about too. Things like developing the OSM community and keeping it
cohesive and moving forward as the membership changes.

As OSM grows, I think it's important that the Foundation continues to
reflect the needs and wishes of the community. In other communities, you
sometimes see community leaders diverge disastrously from what community
members really want. So I see an important function of SotM going
forward as the place where the foundation can keep in touch with the
membership (particularly as the actual people on the board, and doing
the mapping, change over the years). I'd like to see the foundation's
AGM and working group meetings as central to SotM - not just scheduled
during a lunch break!

> * If its about making money for the Foundation, there's probably better ways to do that than charging attendees (eg long term sponsorship of the project).

If it's about making money for the Foundation, I'd like to see a lot
more debate on what the Foundation wants the money for.

Not that I can't think of plenty of things - for example with my
business hat on, I'm a bit alarmed how dependent OSM is on a tiny number
of key volunteers. Until it's rich enough to hire some full-time staff,
I'd like to see the OSMF keeping a fund so that when things go wrong,
professional help can be hired immediately to fix stuff. Companies which
use OSM data commercially ought to be willing to contribute to this
(especially the profitable ones!)

As I said, I can think of plenty of good reasons why the OSMF should be
trying to make money, but I don't remember seeing anything much in the
way of debate about it. Perhaps the Foundation should develop an open
list of its spending priorities?

Jonathan.