[Osmf-talk] OSM fair use examples

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 11:19:30 UTC 2010

On 28 June 2010 09:44, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen <
g.gremmen at cetest.nl> wrote:

> Basically, we don't care really about attributes, licenses
> and the rest. We will not and cannot enforce our own
> license, so why should we discuss about it ?
>
> Users of our data that are honest will respect our
> work and attribute whatever we ask (if reasonable),
> Users that are not will ignore our license and get away with it!
> Or will you Sam, or Tom, pay the legal consequences of enforcing our
> license.
>
> Be realistic and stop spoiling efforts
> into discussion licenses and attributes.... until
> we can challenge the market ! And that will never happen, I hope!
>
> Make OSM Public Domain and it will grow even faster.

Hello,
Well, I am sure quite a few people care about the licence to the point of
regularly wanting to enforce it. So I don't think your statement is quite
right at all.
I can't see how making OSM Public Domain (which is almost virtually
impossible) would have absolutely no effect on people contributing more to
OSM. I can even see a few cases where it might prevent people from
contributing. You would just get potentially different kind of people but I
don't think it would grow faster. People are contributing to Google Map
Maker and yet they don't get anything back in return besides the ability to
print a map. It shows that most people don't care that much about the
licence: it is more about the ability to make use of a map that is accurate
that matters in the end.
The whole debate about public domain or copyleft is an old argument since we
had GPL and BSD. I could use the fallacious argument of pointing out that
copyleft projects seem to thrive way more than public domain (Wikipedia,
Linux, ....). Please note that this is a troll so don't feel the urge to

Emilie Laffray