[Osmf-talk] seeking feedback on needs summary

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Sun Mar 21 21:17:25 UTC 2010

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Mikel,
>
>     the document seems largely ok to me. I have two remarks:
>
> 1.
>

>> Many companies have been set up to do this such as CloudMade, Geofabrik and ITO World.
>>

> I think it is not correct to say that ITO has been set up to monetise
> OSM; they have been in business much longer I believe (but Peter will
> surely comment).

I think this is irrelevant. But to avoid discussion it might be better
to leave out *all* commercial company names..

>> Much of OSM's community comes from the open source and other technical
>> communities. Non-techies often do climb the learning curve, but
>> contribution to OSM certainly does remain beyond the reach of many. We
>> have great need to invest in the user experience of OSM. Our
>> documentation and training materials need work to be accessible in new
>> communities. Efforts to introduce the OpenStreetMap approach into
>> government may need considerable investment.
>>

> I doubt that OSM needs active "market development".

I strongly disagree. I am absolutely certain openstreetmap needs market
development. More people should be able to join in map editing feeling
at ease so we will see more and more evenly distributed edits.

> I am known for insisting that I think our organic growth is sufficient.
> What you write here sounds partially like it was thought out by a
> marketing guy in a commercial environment: "We need to sell more units
> of our product. Whom could we sell to, let's make a list and then plan
> how to crack open these markets..."

Nonsense, it is a marketing way of telling "our power is in the masses
and we would like to know if you would be interested to help discover
how to attract the masses" which is exactly why we need support from
outside. Mikel's text is honest. It tells of weaknesses and strength and
reaches out for help.
> It is my impression that OSM grows by itself, and slowly and healthily
> (and often from the inside) cracks open these markets. Academia and
> government discover OSM for themselves even without our printing a
> colour leaflet and our sales rep team hosting OSM events on campus.
> Individuals in non-technical environments discover OSM and "translate"
> it for their non-technical peers. It is happening even without a master
> plan.

Maybe in your area. Here in the Netherlands, OSM growth is slow and I
know a lot of places in the world still don't know anything about
OpenStreetMap.
> I know that others, among them Steve Coast, are of the opinion that OSM
> growth is something that we (the OSMF et al.) have to actively pursue
> (because otherwise it will not happen, or not happen fast enough).
>
> In my eyes this is not a discussion that we have had in the Foundation,
> but I think it is very important because it has the potential of
> defining a large part of the character of our work (and where our funds go).
>
> Has the board among themselves discussed this and reached a conclusion,
> or is everyone simply accepting the notion without much thought?

Again, this is in my opinion outside the scope of Mikel's "teaser".
Perhaps ON might be an ideal partner to help the OSMF board in
organisational matters.