[Osmf-talk] seeking feedback on needs summary

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Mar 29 10:27:58 UTC 2010

On 21 Mar 2010, at 19:30, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Mikel,
>
>    the document seems largely ok to me. I have two remarks:
>
> 1.
>
>> Many companies have been set up to do this such as CloudMade,
>> Geofabrik and ITO World.
>
> I think it is not correct to say that ITO has been set up to monetise
> OSM; they have been in business much longer I believe (but Peter will
> surely comment).

I am not following the OSM list very well at present so sorry about
the delay in replying.

Re ITO and OSM: OSM is a wonderful source of data and we do offer
commercial services that use OSM. You are however correct that ITO was
not set up specifically around OSM - we were drawn to it because the
commercial mapping was of such low quality for pedestrian routing. We
now have to convince more commercial parties over time that they can
dare use crowd-sourced mapping which is the next big challenge!

Regards,

Peter