[Osmf-talk] ArcGIS Online & OSM

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Wed May 5 14:15:40 UTC 2010

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Andrew Turner wrote:
>

>> If there are limits on what OSM Tiles can be used by external services,
>> there should be some clear indication of what that trigger point is.
>> e.g. no more than 5,000 tiles / day from a single application?
>>

> Guidelines are at
>     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy
>
> which is clearly pointed to from "Copyright&  License" on the main
> page - our Ts&Cs.
>
> I suspect a numeric limit would be counterproductive, legitimising
> "what you can get away with", and impossible to enforce. ("5,000 from
> a single app? So if I write another app...?" Or: "Oh, so editing
> software gets unlimited use? I'll add an obscure "add POI" feature
> hidden down some submenus.")

Heh, yes, always interesting technical ways to get around things. See
Apple's restriction on having to show a location if you're going to
capture it.

The current situation of showing a *User* that "You've been blocked, ask
on IRC" is detrimental to the project. So a better arrangement and
understanding needs to be conveyed. The wiki page on policy reads
clearly, but never explains why the Unauthorised message would appear.
Just hoping that with the many companies using the system there is
expectation management all around.

thanks
Andrew

> cheers