[Osmf-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] New OSM contributor licensing under ODbL and CC-BY-SA started today

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed May 12 17:00:17 UTC 2010

At 04:37 PM 12/05/2010, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>Now saying new contributors have to agree to the CC-By-SA and ODbL is
>a little unprecise.  I thought that was the case based on the two mail
>announcements sent today, but it's the Contributor Terms, not ODbL
>based on what Avar reports.

I may be picking up the wrong concern here, but let me clarify for general information:

Having new contributors agree to both the CC-BY-SA and ODbL allows a transition period with fail-safe.

- Right now, CC-BY-SA carries on as usual.  The Foundation has the right to license a tiny amount of new contributions under ODbL, but will not do so.

- Existing contributors are then asked if they will agree to re-license their data under ODbL.  CC-BY-SA carries on as usual.

- When enough contributors have agreed, we cut over to licensing the current database under ODbL, (And a static snapshot of the database is also made forever under CC-BY-SA).  If for some reason this event never happens, the fail safe is that licensing of all contributions under CC-BY-SA simply continues.

Hope that helps.

Mike