[Osmf-talk] OSMF Core Values

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Mon Aug 1 09:21:53 UTC 2011

On 01/08/2011 09:15, Henk Hoff wrote:

> Are we still happy with that, or are there other goals within our
> Foundation that needs to be locked as well? We would like to hear your
> opinion.
>
> Just so you know: we're also looking into an Asset Lock for the
> OpenStreetMap database. That means: in case we cease to exist, the
> database needs to go to an organization with similar goals as our
> organization.

Assuming that the Foundation is to remain a UK organisation, we could
look at becoming a Community Interest Company
(http://www.bis.gov.uk/cicregulator/) which includes an asset lock and a
degree of outside regulation, but not as much as full charitable status.

Becoming a CIC doesn't answer the question of what our values are, but
it should help preserve them once we've decided.

J.