[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] OSMF organizational change: Management Team

ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen g.gremmen at cetest.nl
Sun Aug 14 09:22:31 UTC 2011

Just in general, IMHO you cannot copy a commercial company model
to an a crowd based organization without loosing
a substantial part (the heart) of the crowd.

The current reorganization model is a good example of
how things will go wrong. By creating a selected group
of "uber-osm-ers" (not necessarily intentional)
 to focus on strategy and future of the project they will
*automatically* and involuntarily create distance between them
and the organization.

Very quickly the opinion of these people is getting influenced by
having better access to info thereby filling in the concept
of "knowledge is power".  And having power as an individual
is just what is the problem in crowd based organizations.

This has already begun with the introduction of
the license, a concept that came from "the top",
a group of people terribly concerned with OSM  (in a positive sense)
that came to believe the future of the project is too important
to be left to the anarchist "crowd" .
I believe it can, and both "board" and "working groups" can
only be found "live" on the discussion for a and mailing lists.

Even if the OdBL were the best solution for OSM, the introduction
from the top-down (as it has happened) creates trouble in our kind
of organization.

conclusion:

The OSMF/Board/Working groups in my opinion should be concerned
in creating a concise and well function information system to
facilitate discussions and a transparent way to determine what
the consensus in OSM is going to be.
And make sure the crowd takes the decisions ALL the time.
In fact, just what was written down one time as the purpose of OSMF.

Anyway, Pandora's box is open now....

Gert