[Osmf-talk] OSMF organizational change: Management Team

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Aug 14 14:58:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Henk Hoff <henk.hoff at osmfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to inform you about an organizational change within the OSM
> Foundation the Board has decided on.

[ ... ]

> You can find the minutes of the Management Team on the OSMF website:
> http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Management_Team

I'm not against refinements to the way that we run our Foundation.  I
accept that change is needed as the Foundation, the project and the
world around us change.  That said, I'm not sure that the management
team, as proposed, is an effective way to address the concerns
expressed.

In an attempt to separate the board from the day-to-day level
decisions of the foundation, those decisions are referred from the WGs
to the Management Team, rather than to the Board.  But the Management
Team consists of the Board, plus WG chairs (also, often, board
members).

Board meetings are made less frequent but Management meetings are
added.  The meeting-load on board members seems unchanged.  The
meeting-load on non-board WG chairs will be increased.

I don't see how adding the Management Team will make the Board and WGs
work more smoothly / faster with each other.

If OSMF responsiveness / effectiveness is blocked by meeting-load, or
volume of demands from the Working Groups, perhaps it will help to let
the WGs act with greater independence?

I've not weighed in on this topic to date because I don't have a
solution to offer.  I still don't.

I'd like to see more people involved with the Board and WGs on a
regular basis.  OSM and OSMF are in many ways a do-ocracy, and I think
that having more doers is better.  I'm sure that there is a risk of
bloating the groups and reducing their effectiveness and I don't know
where that will balance out.