[Osmf-talk] OSMF organizational change: Management Team

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 14:17:49 UTC 2011

My 2-cents worth:

If you have one single manager, his going to get so much criticism
that he's going to quit within a week.

There is very little overlap between many of the activities of the
OSMF (Online services, SoTM, license & legal, other). Licensing need
not coordinate their changes with the activities. The only overlap
between online services and SoTM that I see is that they compete a
little bit for the same budget. Even within Online services there are
things like wiki, help and mailing lists that can be operated quite
separately from the rails port.

So try to separate the activities. Try to get a responsible person for
each of them and give him/her a mandate to do a long list of things.
Then those individuals will take greater responsibility.

Then the board can effectively answer the big picture questions: Is
online services more cost effective at building the community than
SoTM ? Then give them more money. Who is doing a good job and who
isn't ?

(And please don't try to write a long definition of every activity).

Regards,
Nic