[Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Fri Aug 26 06:50:19 UTC 2011

Dear Henk,

On 24 August 2011 21:42, Henk Hoff <henk.hoff at osmfoundation.org> wrote:

> One situation we discussed was the possible "buying of votes". Looking
> at the past elections (look at the number of votes needed to get
> elected or not), it is pretty easy to buy yourself a seat on the
> board. To prevent this we worked out a proposal that only members who
> have been member for some time (say 30 days) would be able to vote.
> This would prevent people from quickly signing up to vote someone on
> the board. 30 days is chosen, b/c then the election process has not
> started yet.
>
> Is this something we should be doing, or do we all think that anyone
> (no matter what) can become member up until the last minute and have
> voting rights immediately?

I think this is also rather arbitrary and isn't something I've come across
in other organisations. What is more common is a rule specifying that you
can only stand for the board if you have been a member for a certain amount
of time. For example, in the Green Party in England & Wales one can only
stand to be on the national executive with three years of membership under
your belt and nominations from members across a few parties.

I would urge you to adopt that solution, with a bar of say one year's
membership, or if that seems too much given how many people may have been
longstanding OSM contributors but more recent OSMF members then you could
reduce it to six or three months, or even base it on OSM contribution.

Regards,
Tom Chance