[Osmf-talk] logo update

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Dec 19 14:25:47 UTC 2011

Hmm, I'm not particulaly bothered myself but I've always been told that
acronyms and other abbreviations are generally bad practice for branding.
Why? Because they usually don't convey anything meaningful on their own,
and remember logos will often be used out of context. A general rule is
that you should never start out with an abbreviation for your brand.

Exceptions are where:

* you need to detoxify an existing name or project a new image (e.g. BP)

* the abbreviation or acronym is more friendly than the full title (e.g.
Ikea)

* people already know you by your initials (e.g. MTV)

* the abbreviation is easier to remember (e.g. IBM)

* companies using abbreviations are usually successful in spite of their

I've also been told that you don't want to split your brand in two by using
one version (openstreetmap) for the domain and web site text and another
(osm) for the logo. You pick one or the other, not both.

I've never heard anyone call Wikipedia "wiki", and the only circle I've
ever walked in where people regularly start with abbreviations is the techy
geek world of recursive acronyms and companies like 3M/IBM/etc.

I only ever hear OSM among fellow serious contributors, whereas people who
are peripherally aware of the project, who use the web maps or who have
dabbled in contributing have always called it Openstreetmap or
Openstreetmaps.

If we want to focus on that regular contributor audience, perhaps we need
to commit to OSM for the domain and the rest of the web site, only spelling
"OpenStreetMap" out to explain the name on background "about"-type pages?

Regards,
Tom